What is the difference between cloud computing and web hosting?
Cloud computing and web hosting can seem similar because these two types of services can have very similar kinds of setups and deliver a lot of the same results. However, there are some critical differences between cloud computing and web hosting services that have to do with the technical definition of each.
Web hosting is simply the process of offering remote location and maintenance for files and server space used to support web projects. Conventional kinds of web hosting include services where individual users can build and store small websites with a web hosting provider, and enterprise web hosting, where businesses enter into contracts with third parties like internet service providers to host their sites.
Cloud computing can also support remote web hosting. The definition of cloud computing services involves the connection of clients to vendors through wireless or IP connected networks. In cloud computing, a client sends data to a vendor through an abstract network trajectory called "the cloud." Data is then stored and maintained on remote servers owned and operated by the vendors.
In general, cloud computing services that include web hosting can be an alternative to other traditional kinds of web hosting that are not based on cloud computing principles. One of the biggest differences could be called a "single client" versus "multitenant" approach. Cloud computing services that include web hosting are usually multitenant. That means that the files and data resources of multiple clients are housed on the same server. This provides flexibility and on-demand services for individual clients, so that providers can scale up or scale down delivery easily.
By contrast, dedicated web hosting will involve a web hosting company serving only one client on any given server. This provides more individual security and a more focused approach to serving an individual customer.
More Q&As from our experts
- What does the mobile network state mean?
- With more big data solutions moving to the cloud, how will that impact network performance and security?
- How can cloud computing save money?
- Cloud Computing
- Web Host
- Virtual Hosting
- Internet Service Provider
- Remote Access Server
- Cloud Computing
- Platform as a Service
- Distributed Computing System
Tech moves fast! Stay ahead of the curve with Techopedia!
Join nearly 200,000 subscribers who receive actionable tech insights from Techopedia.
- European Sharepoint, Office 365 & Azure Conference
- Robotic Process Automation: What You Need to Know
- Data Governance Is Everyone's Business
- Key Applications for AI in the Supply Chain
- Service Mesh for Mere Mortals - Free 100+ page eBook
- Do You Need a Head of Remote?
- Web Data Collection in 2022 - Everything you need to know