What Does Green Data Center Mean?
A green data center is an enterprise class computing facility that is entirely built, managed and operated on green computing principles. It provides the same features and capabilities of a typical data center but uses less energy and space, and its design and operation are environmentally friendly.
Techopedia Explains Green Data Center
A green data center is built to have a minimal effect on the natural environment. The following are primary green data center features:
- Built from the ground up in an environment friendly facility
- Consume minimal power resources for operation and maintenance - both for the primary computing infrastructure and supporting electronic resources, such as cooling, backup and lighting
- Typically operate with green or renewable energy, such as solar, wind or hydel power
- Entire infrastructure is installed with the lowest power and carbon footprint
- Minimal e-waste with recyclable or reusable equipment