What Does Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) Mean?
Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) is a remote server management processor embedded on the system boards of HP ProLiant and Blade servers that allows controlling and monitoring of HP servers from a remote location. HP iLO management is a powerful tool that provides multiple ways to configure, update, monitor, and run servers remotely.
The embedded iLO management card has its own network connection and IP address to which server administrators can connect via Domain Name System (DNS)/Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) or through a separate dedicated management network. iLO provides a remote Web-based console, which can be used to administer the server remotely. The iLO port is an Ethernet port, which can be enabled through the ROM-Based Setup Utility (RBSU).
Techopedia Explains Integrated Lights-Out (iLO)
iLO comes preconfigured with proLiant servers of the 300 series and above. A default iLO user account and password is included. iLO can be configured through several ways including:
- Browser-based configuration.
- iLO RBSU accessed using the F8 key during power-on self-test (POST).
- Remote scripted configuration.
- Local on-line and local scripted setup.
The iLO management tool allows a user to perform the following actions on the server remotely:
- Power on and power off the server.
- Restart the server.
- Monitor the server, regardless of the state of the server’s operating system.
- Measure power usage.
- Apply patches, firmware updates, and critical virus updates through virtual media and virtual folders.
- Access system event logs and the HP Integrated Management Log.
HP 100 series servers include the Lights-Out 100 Remote Management Option with limited features. HP iLO has now been replaced by Integrated Lights-Out Advanced (known as iLO2 and iLO3). The latest releases of HP Integrated Lights-Out 2 (iLO2) and Lights-Out 3 (iLO3) have simplified the server setup process and enabled remote power and thermal optimization. As of Aug 2011, the current firmware versions of iLO 2 and iLO 3 are 2.07 and 1.26, respectively.