What Does Shared Storage Mean?
Shared storage is a type of storage resource that is shared or accessed by multiple users. It is generally used in enterprise IT environments where a central storage infrastructure is shared between multiple users across the organization's network.
Techopedia Explains Shared Storage
Typically, shared storage is in the form of:
- Storage area network (SAN)
- Network attached storage (NAS)
- Storage server
- Cloud storage
To access data within the shared storage, users are required to authenticate themselves on the shared storage medium, central storage server or a storage management application. Once authenticated, and based on their permission level, users can access, modify and create data to/from the shared storage.
Shared storage can be accessed:
- Directly over the local network or through FTP
- Over the Internet through a storage management application
- Programmatic access using API