Techopedia Explains Capacity Management
Capacity management has close links with financial management and ITIL service level management areas. With the constant change in technology, capacity management helps in identifying opportunities of improvement and also helps in planning the requirements more efficiently and accurately. It can help in finding scalable solutions to various capacity bottlenecks in the organization.
Functions of capacity management:
- Storage of capacity management data.
- Ensuring required service levels are met in all disciplines.
- With respect to resource utilization, analyzing, monitoring, and tuning the necessary modifications.
- Understanding the current infrastructure performance and analyze the future requirements.
- With input from other teams, project the annual growth plan for infrastructure.
- Managing the requirements for computing resources.
Benefits of capacity management:
- Improvement of performance, reduction of consumption due to fine tuning of applications and components of infrastructure.
- Improving the efficiency of provision capacity.
- Elimination of redundant work and ensuring consistent monitoring of infrastructure components.
- Improvement of IT cost per service unit components.