What Does Spreadsheet Mean?
A spreadsheet is a software application that enables a user to save, sort and manage data in an arranged form of rows and columns.
A spreadsheet stores data in a tabular format as an electronic document. An electronic spreadsheet is based on and is similar to the paper-based accounting worksheet.
A spreadsheet may also be called a worksheet.
Techopedia Explains Spreadsheet
A spreadsheet is primarily designed to provide a digital form of the paper-based worksheet. Spreadsheets work through spreadsheet application software. The rows and columns within the spreadsheet contain cells that are filled with data to create unique operations. A typical spreadsheet program can have multiple functions such as:
- Numerous rows and columns for data and values storage
- Support for mathematical formulas and calculations
- Data sorting and analysis
- Multiple worksheets and their interlinking
- Integration and visualization of data in the form of graphs and charts
Microsoft Excel and Lotus 1-2-3 are among the most popular spreadsheet applications.