What are some common misconceptions about data center infrastructure and how do they impact the business?
The biggest misconception and pitfall is to manage and provision data center infrastructure and the applications which run on them independently. Given the scale, complexity and required optimization of today’s computing infrastructure, organizations cannot afford to generously over-provision their facilities. This has a direct cost impact to the business.
Furthermore, applications and facilities are becoming evermore entwined: Critical infrastructure works best when it is aware of the workloads running atop it, and applications work best when they are aware of the infrastructure upon which they run.
There are numerous examples, including:
- Using predicted infrastructure failure to pre-emptively move workloads
- Managing a facility (server utilization, thermal set points, etc.) based on actual workloads, so facilities are not running full tilt while applications sit idle
- Using “end-to-end” information, from facilities to users, to detect application and security anomalies
There are several business impacts related to the above: cost of wasted energy, reduced application availability with revenue/SLA/customer satisfaction impact, and reduced agility due to the lack of flexibility regarding intelligent workload placement.
More Q&As from our experts
- What is intelligent cloud and what factors are driving its growth?
- How are AI and machine learning changing risk management?
- How can bias be detected in machine learning?
- Data Center
- Data Center Infrastructure
- Workload Placement
- Workload Management
- Distributed Computing System
- Bypass Airflow
- Equipment Footprint
Tech moves fast! Stay ahead of the curve with Techopedia!
Join nearly 200,000 subscribers who receive actionable tech insights from Techopedia.
- The CIO Guide to Information Security
- Robotic Process Automation: What You Need to Know
- Data Governance Is Everyone's Business
- Key Applications for AI in the Supply Chain
- Service Mesh for Mere Mortals - Free 100+ page eBook
- Do You Need a Head of Remote?
- Web Data Collection in 2022 - Everything you need to know