What are some of the resources available to women looking to get into a career in data science?
There are quite a few resources available to women who are looking to get into data science. There are many courses that women can take via colleges and online universities for specific skill sets needed around data science such as statistics, machine learning, calculus, algebra, analytics, data visualization, data wrangling, software engineering and coding – Python, Java, R, C++, SQL, statistical packages, etc.
Also, women can benefit from leveraging career centers, meetup groups, technical and analytic groups, LinkedIn, recruiters and networking groups to help them find jobs and create opportunities from networking. There are groups that have been established for women to help them specifically in data science and in their technical careers. I was a co-founder for one of these groups called ASK – Alpha Sigma Kappa, Women in Technical Studies, when I was in college and it has touched thousands of women's lives since its creation. It is a group that helps women in their technical careers and studies. Other groups to consider for women to join to network in technology consist of WITI – Women in Technology International, Women Who Code, Anita Borg, Catalyst, ChickTech, Ellevate, Everwise, Grace Hopper, Ivy, Power To Fly, See Jane, Tech Ladies on Facebook, Women on Boards, and Women Who Get It, to name a few. There are other groups out there as well that help in business networking such as NAFE, PBWC, WSA, TeamWomen, World Association of Women Entrepreneurs, etc.
It is essential to network in both group types. Local groups and groups at your places of employment can also help.
More Q&As from our experts
- What’s the difference between a data scientist and a decision scientis
- What’s the difference between a function and a functor?
- What is the biggest gap in widespread deployment of data science across businesses?
- Data Science
- Data Scientist
- Machine Learning
- Data Visualization
- Data Wrangling
- Software Engineering
- Silicon Valley
Tech moves fast! Stay ahead of the curve with Techopedia!
Join nearly 200,000 subscribers who receive actionable tech insights from Techopedia.
- The CIO Guide to Information Security
- Robotic Process Automation: What You Need to Know
- Data Governance Is Everyone's Business
- Key Applications for AI in the Supply Chain
- Service Mesh for Mere Mortals - Free 100+ page eBook
- Do You Need a Head of Remote?
- Web Data Collection in 2022 - Everything you need to know